Monday, February 7, 2011

Waxing Business

Well, not that we’re actually here to talk about actual business. I am so honestly not a business person. Anyone who comes up to me and tries to talk money and business I sadly just automatically zone out! I know I should be paying attention and listening, but how can I? When my head is just filled with pretty, colourful, floaty floaty thingies.

Heh. Moving along from my nonsense. We’re here to talk about Waxing.

As a person who prefers to be hairless. I’ve been to a few waxing studios and haven’t quite settled on one yet. This post will mainly be about 2 waxing studios that I visited recently and to help me choose which one I wanna settle with for the long term. Hey! Waxing is serious business, you wanna find a place that you like, that is comfortable, that is clean and that above all else… affordable! Cheapskate talking here!

And because I always get my brows done when I do my Brazilian, I’ll be including a total cost for all the places below, just so I know how much I’ll be paying per session aka per month.

So let’s start with the most affordable waxing studio I’ve been to.

Saluga Beauty House, Bangsar Telawi 03-22835390/012-3223705
This was the first place I ever, ever got waxed at. I used to go there for cheap eyebrow threading (only RM5!), and as such I never thought to go check out other places. After all, their Brazilian waxing is at RM50, so plus my monthly eyebrow threading it just makes up to RM55/month! Good deal I say!

Now about the ambience.
When you enter the place you will see a couch on your left, the nail spa area, toilets, massage room on your right, in front you will be greeted by mirrors set up with hair saloon chairs for you to get your hair did, and lastly on the far left, payment counter, waxing/threading room and facial room. The whole place is brightly lit and comfortable, good enough for a place where you pay RM50 to get your chacha cleaned up.
As for the service, if you come during the weekends it’s usually rather crowded, so you will have to wait a bit for your turn, most of the time I don’t have to wait longer than 30minutes. You can always opt to make an appointment beforehand, but I don’t really find that necessary. 30minutes is a decent waiting time, especially if they’re busy. The staff there are all pretty well trained, they do everything quickly and efficiently. When it comes to eyebrow threading you can be done in about 5 – 10minutes, while for Brazilian waxing about 15minutes. Not too bad I say. When it is your turn, you enter the waxing room, in the room each bed is separated with a curtain so you don’t really have to worry about people seeing you, however if you do tend to be loud during a session, people will hear you quite clearly. After all, you’re all in the same room and this isn’t a huge place. As previously mentioned, the people are quick and efficient. You’re asked to take off your shorts/skirts & underwear and given a pull up skirt to wear while you lie on the bed. The people do not blink at all about having to wax off your hair down there, so there’s no reason to feel nervous or embarrassed. For RM50 per wax, they are using an Australian brand of soft wax. That means they apply a layer of wax on your skin, gently press a muslin strip on top and yank! Pain factor, well… I believe that it can all be gotten used to, but I do admit that soft wax is a tad bit more painful than hard wax, which they do not provide. If you’re a little OCD about not wanting your wax to be double dipped, I suggest you skip this place.

Total – RM50 + RM5 (eyebrow threading) = RM55

The Strip Bangsar Telawi 03-22836094/095/096 Website
thestrip
Prior to visiting The Strip in Bangsar, I’ve actually been to Somerset Nails n Waxing, only reason I went there was because I saw a RM50 for Brazillian waxing promo! Nothing to shout about, service decent, prince higher than Saluga but then most of these places are. Back to The Strip. I got a voucher from my visit to MOFEW and decided to give them a shot, I’ve heard lots of good things about them and everyone seems to be going there so I decided there was nothing to lose by checking them out, plus I had the voucher. :)

While The Strip is definitely not the cheapest waxing place around, I had the 50% discount and planned to use it! For first timers, hard wax Brazilian will cost RM88, and the subsequent sessions will cost RM114.50, if you do opt for Combi-wax instead (both hard & soft waxed used) it’ll only be RM88/session. Of course they do have this promo where you can buy either 4 or 5 hard wax sessions at RM88/session. Aside from the price, the salon in Bangsar is really lovely. You climb up a rather steep stairs and is greeted with a friendly personnel at the counter, tell them your appointment name (it is better if you make an appointment cos they’re usually fully booked), wait a little while and you’re shown to your cubicle, or if you prefer a separated little room with door.
Shown into your little room, you are required to take off the bottom half of your clothes, given a cleansing wipe to clean up the area, wrap a towel around your waist and you’re good to go. The process is rather simple, they apply hot wax onto your skin, wait for it to cool, rip off the wax, quickly press their fingers on the area that just got ripped and change areas. The Strip boasts a deforestation time of 15minutes! Which I must say is rather quick, I like! They don’t double dip, instead they use short spatulas each time a new layer of wax is applied to your skin.

Total – RM114.5 + RM25 (eyebrow waxing) = RM139.5

Apronbay Brow & Waxing Bangsar Telawi 03-22878081/017-6930683 Website
Apronbay Brow and Waxing Bangsar Kuala Lumpur Malaysia Beauty Brazilian Body Face Threading Nails
A newbie in town! So as usual, I just had to check it out! From the outside, for some reason or another I am attracted to their simple window display on the prices of their services. It always makes me feel better to know how much I am paying for services! And at RM98/session, it’s a pretty good deal! Made sweeter with the fact that new customers get a 25% off!

The whole process is pretty similar to The Strip, except for the fact that after each rip, they will wipe on a cooling ointment to reduce the pain, which is great! Definitely one of the least painful waxing sessions I’ve been to (Saluga being the most painful, I think it’s the soft wax), but to me I have a decent pain tolerance so pain wise it doesn’t make that much difference to me, but it still felt nice to have the pain pretty much gone immediately. The entire process also took longer than both Saluga and The Strip, I think about 30 – 45 minutes? I wasn’t sure as I was there as well to thread my eyebrows (RM12), but all in all I think I spent about 45 – 60 minutes inside Apronbay. I started with filling up a customer form, was given a cup of tea/water, and then led into the rooms to begin my deforestation. I love the interior of Apronbay! It’s very cozy and homey and yet still brightly lit! The whole place just made me feel really warm inside, I truly enjoyed the ambience there! Might have to try out their mani & pedi services the next time I’m there, just so I can sit in their lovely shop for a longer period of time! :D

Total – RM98 + RM12 (eyebrow threading) = RM110

Conclusion:
Out of the 3, I think I might go back to Apronbay if I have a little extra cash to spare that month and am willing to wait an hour to be defurred, and Saluga if I am feeling particularly kedekut and low on cash.

To read more about the process of Brazilian waxing, check out this post by My Women Stuff!

And that’s all for now! I know I haven’t been updating much lately, but don’t worry I got a few posts in mind and will be continuing updating regularly… soon! :)
Till next time!
xoxo
WN.

2 comments:

  1. What do u mean by double dip?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      Double dip means using the same spatula and dipping into the pot of wax again, as opposed to using a new spatula each time. :)
      Hope that helps. :)

      Delete