Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Oscars '13

Alright, how many of you managed to catch the Oscars yesterday? I for one did not manage to.

And so, it was rather sad when I heard how the VFX people who were giving their thank you speech was so rudely cut off with the JAWS theme song & not allowed to properly finish their speech. Especially since the company (Rhythm & Hues) that brought Richard Parker to life has now declared bankruptcy and without them the movie would not have been what it was. Hopefully with all the media covering the VFX protest, situations will improve for all VFX artists.

Moving along, here are my top picks from the Oscars '13!

LOVES.
To die for!

Kerry Washington in Miu Miu.
I think I am just attracted to the really pretty corally pink shade. The colour is incredibly soft & pretty and it rather stands out amongst the usual bright, glittery shades.
Zoe Saldana in Alexis Mabille Couture.
I love the applique detail across the bust, the belted empire waist & the asymmetrical cut skirt with layers of black & grey.

Olivia Munn in Marchesa. 
Red & gold. Just perfect for the Lunar New Year I think. I love the sweetheart neckline, the gold details across the top & the folded red train.
Fan Bing Bing in Marchesa. 
Quite honestly, I've got nothing much to say about her as I don't really know her movies & roles but I am loving her rich fuchsia edgy cut dress with it's full skirt.

Kelly Rowland in Donna Karan Atelier. 
I can never say no to a good black & white gown. The simple folds & high slit shows off Kelly's muscular arms & stems nicely.
Jennifer Lawrence in Dior Couture.
There's just something simply stunning about Jennifer's Dior Couture pale creamy gown. I love the cut & fit on her and the texture of the dress just adds that little touch of magic.

Naomi Watts in Giorgio Armani.
Give me a metallic sheeny dress with cut outs and I am absolutely sold! I love the shiny metallic silver shade of this dress and the simple sleek cut. The cut out across the shoulder is just icing on a delicious futuristic cake!
Catherine Zeta Jones in Zuhair Murad.
Go for gold! Not too sure what she's been up to lately, but her showstopper nude & gold gown is a winner for me! And she managed to pull it off without looking like Mr. Oscar.

It seems that quite a bit of celebrities are going for the strapless gowns, and hey I can't help but love it!

LIKES.
Like'em but don't LOVE'em

Amy Adams in Oscar de la Renta | Amanda Seyfried in Alexander McQueen. 

Jennifer Hudson in Roberto Cavalli | Anne Hathaway in Prada. 

Adele in Jenny Packham | George Clooney's girfriend Stacy Keibler in Naeem Khan.

Nicole Kidman in L 'Wren Scott | Kelly Osbourne in Tony Ward Couture.

Sandra Bullock in Elie Saab Couture | Kristen Stewart in Reem Acra Couture. 

MEH.
Simple & pretty but not jaw dropping stunning.

Charlize Theron in Dior Couture | Jennifer Aniston in Valentino. 
Jennifer Garner in Gucci Premiere | Reese Witherspoon in Louis Vuitton. 
Helen Hunt in H&M with $700,000 worth of jewellery (I guess the bling makes up for the dress) 
Salma Hayek in Alexander McQueen. 

Frankly, this year I felt the all the dresses were really nice but nothing particularly stood out for me. 
They were all pretty, nice and in a way safe. Of the lot, I think I have to say my no. 1 favourite has gotta be Zoe Saldana in Alexis Mabille Couture. 

Also, I am partially biased against blue. Unless the shade of blue is really stunning, I very rarely like it. The shade Reese Witherspoon is wearing is nice, but because the dress was a tad to safe and plain for me... it just doesn't call out to me. 

What about you guys? Which are your favourite dresses? :) 

Till next time!
xoxo

 Credits to Vogue.

No comments:

Post a Comment