Monday, September 20, 2010

In Search of the Perfect Red

So here I am writing another post about nail polishes! Yes! I am obsessed! Yes! I am a shopaholic! And yes, my name is Wei Ni! Hello to all fellow Shopaholics!

You see, I was halfway through my New York Fashion Week post, when I got distracted by this beautiful nail colour I have on my nails (cheh, self praise!). No la, in actual fact I had a wedding on Saturday so I went to get my nails did and I asked the manicurist to pick a dark red colour for me, so she picked OPI’s St Petersburgundy –which I just found out has been discontinued btw, sad for me-. In actual fact, I wanted a really dark almost black kinda red, but then since I’m not too fussy I said, ‘Okay la, this colour is fine, go ahead and nail me!’ Well, technically didn’t say that at all, just said, 'Yes, the colour is okay.’

When the manicurist finished with my nails, I must say I was totally in love with the colour!!! And it even went with the dress I wore that night, which umm… happened to be d0114 from our Superstar collection! In black! Yes, I SOMETIMES keep my own clothes, but only sometimes. :) Already said I was a Shopaholic right? Please don’t judge me!!!

Anyway, back to the polishes. Seeing as how OPI’s St Petersburgundy is sadly discontinued I went on a red polish hunting spree, so that will be what this post is about! Red, red nails! Dang, they hot!

There are many kinds of red, bright reds, dark reds, deep reds. All kinds, what I’m looking to get is actually something similar to St Petersburgundy, which happens to be a more medium berry red.

I’ll be dividing the reds into 3 sections. Bright, medium and dark.
First up, brights!
girlsjustwanttoplay[mandalayruby
From left: OPI Girls Just Want to Play, Orly Mandalay Ruby.
Sigh, you know how in my previous polish post I wrote one of the dark reds as Orly Mandalay Ruby? Well, in actually fact it is just Orly Ruby! And the above lighter, brighter red is Orly Mandalay Ruby! NOOOOOO! And it’s because of that mistake I ordered the wrong colour! Seeing as how I already own OPI Girls Just Want to Play, I now have a similar colour to it, all because of my silly mistake! NOOOOOOO! Am very sad I lost my Rihanna Red. :(
Anyone wanna buy my Orly Mandalay Ruby when it arrives? I’ll be letting it go for the same price I bought it. Which is about RM20. Takers?
[frenchbordeaux2[cometlovescupid2
From left: OPI French Bordeaux, OPI Comet Loves Cupid.
Personally, I prefer the one on the left, the one on the right feels a tad to light for me, but seeing as how these are OPI’s and their prices are sadly painful, I gotta give these colours a pass. Plus, they aren’t that special, they don’t quite stand out to me either. So pass it is.
[redmyfortunecookie2[revolution
From left: OPI Red My Fortune Cookie, CG Revolution.
Hmm, these colours again aren’t that happening. The OPI one reminds me of Girls Just Want to Play, while Revolution is a little better, they aren’t too special either. Am liking the 2 OPI ones which are directly above instead.
body-soulbeauty orly candy cane lane[rednailpolish2
From left: Orly Candy Cane Lane, Eyeko Red Nail Polish.
I LOVE both these colours! The Orly one is such a nice, rich yummy red! I like that it looks really glossy and berry-like! And the Eyeko one is such a nice classic red, not too light, not too dark just a nice red. Really really good! Sadly, Eyeko is a tad too expensive for me, so will have to give that lovely red a pass. But looking at Orly’s Candy Cane Lane, dang I gotta get it! It looks absolutely perfect for Christmas!
kristi lolipop
From left: Zoya Kristi, Essie Lollipop.
Okay, these are bright reds, they aren’t quite as dark as the ones that I just talked about, but they aren’t quite as light as the first 2 I talked about. With Girls Just Want to Play & Mandalay Ruby, both colours had a slightly orangey undertone to it, while with these 2 colours it doesn’t. It seems to just be red, without any other underlying colours to it. I really can’t quite decide which of these 2 colours I like more! Maybe because they are so similar and they both look so good! But unfortunately, I gotta give these a pass as they’re a tad on the expensive side. Yes, I’m being a cheapie with my polishes! You would be too if you want heaps of colours!
[tomboynomore  [rednouveau
From left: Essie Tomboy No More, Essie Red Nouveau.
Gosh, both of these colours are really, really alike! But I think that Red Nouveau is a tad redder, while Tomboy No More seems to have a slight undertone of blue. Just very slight that it doesn’t look as red as Red Nouveau. Gosh, I don’t know if that quite makes sense, but I hope it does!  

Okay, out of all the bright reds above I think the only colours I will be getting is CG Revolution and Orly Candy Cane Lane! But then, I really shouldn’t be getting CG Revolution as it’s so similar to Orly CCL that there would be no point having 2 such similar colours. It’s the shopaholic in me coming out, telling me to BUY BUY BUY! But I put my feet with those pretty red toes down and say, NO! But then, looking at my Girls Just Want to Play, I think I might give this range a pass as I already have something so similar.

Next up, the medium reds! I love these medium reds!!!
[alix[alllacqueredup
From left: Zoya Alix, OPI All Lacquered Up.
Two really lovely medium berry-ish reds. I like how juicy and berry-ish Alix looks, but I also do like how OPI’s one is a tad darker. I can’t believe there are so many similar colours! I mean, I know they are similar, but they aren’t quite the same and I feel like I should get ALL of them because they are alike but not the same! Do you see my dilemma? :(
limitedaddiction [bastillemyheart
From left: Essie Limited Addiction, OPI Bastille My Heart.
I really, really, really like Limited Addiction!! It is such a beautiful medium creme red! I totally love it! And then comes Bastille My Heart! Oh, my heart goes out to this polish as well! If you click on the image, you will see that the polish has really teeny tiny glitters inside. It’s not very obvious, but that’s what I like about it! A nice subtle glow!
 [boldandbeautiful[feverish
From left: Essie Bold and Beautiful, CC Feverish.
These 2 reds are slightly darker than the ones above, and I really like it! Though I must say that Essie’s one is a little more brownish, not a lot but a tad, while CC Feverish is like a dark berry, or more accurately probably cherry coloured. Personally, am loving CC better! So given the opportunity, I might get CC! :)
 [kangarooby [lacynotracy
From left: OPI Kangarooby, Essie Lacy not Racy.
Meh, honestly can’t say much about these 2 colours. They aren’t that outstanding, I really don’t know why I added them to the list. I guess it’s just for the sake of comparing. I mean, these colours are alright, but not quite what I’m looking for at the moment. Plus, I think the OPI one has been discontinued.
  [ruby[riley
From left: Orly Ruby, Zoya Riley.
OH! My Orly Ruby! How did I go so wrong!!! How did I pick Mandalay instead! What I really wanted was you! It’s okay, next around I will order you and you will be mine! Hmm, looking at Riley, I think it’s a little similar to CC Feverish and I do like Riley. It’s a really nice deep red. It’s not quite Orly Ruby, in fact it’s darker and maybe with a tinge of almost blood red. I really like this colour! Such a shame Zoya’s expensive. :( But it’s okay, will get CC Feverish! :)
 [rubypumps09[smittenwithmittens2
From left: CG Ruby Pumps, OPI Smitten with Mittens.
Okay, I know I normally don’t like glitters! But I just say I am in LOVE with Ruby Pumps! OMG!!! It’s so lovely! And it is totally and absolutely perfect for Christmas! The gorgeous red! The gold sprinkles! Ah, this is love! I’m so sorry OPI but yours just didn’t quite cut it against Ruby Pumps!

From the medium reds, I would get CC Feverish & CG Ruby Pumps! Oh please, oh please, oh please, let there be stock for it! Oh please!

Alright, I know that’s A LOT of reds, but I hope I haven’t quite bored you guys yet! As I am looking for my perfect red, this post is just that. Comparisons of red, so I can find my perfect one! Well, probably not perfect but almost perfect is just as good! :)

Lastly, the dark reds!
[same[yesicancan
From left: Zoya Same, OPI Yes I Can Can.
Ah! Such beautiful dark colours! Between these 2 I think Zoya one is nicer. The Zoya one is a tad darker I think, and it has a little less brown compared to the OPI one. Personally, I don’t like brown nails that much, but this one is okay, but personally don’t like it that much! And if you click on the OPI one, you’ll noticed that it has tiny glitters in it to make it nice and shiny. I do have something similar to this, which is OPI Black Cherry Chutney. The only difference between Yes I Can Can & Black Cherry Chutney is that BCC has a tad bit more purple to it compared to brown in YICC.
 [paris[eiffelforthiscolor
From left: Zoya Paris, OPI Eiffel For This Colour.
It’s funny how both of these colours are SO similar and the names are all about France too! Don’t know who came out first and it doesn’t really bother me either, but I must say that OPI takes the cake this time around! The colour is just so much cleaner and vivid compared to Zoya. Zoya somehow looks a little too dirty for me, while OPI though it’s dark, it still looks clean and bright. Which is something I do like.  

You know, I honestly don’t know why I bothered doing the dark red comparison! I already ordered Orly Thorned Rose! So why am I doing this comparison? It’s because silly me totally forgot that I already ordered it, and so in my over excited state I went a bit wild! And I guess I won’t be picking any colours from this dark red range. Boo me!

From the previous post, these are the colours I managed to order:
CC Poptastic
CC Take Me to Your Chateau
CC Almost Famous
CG Heli-yum
CG Refreshmint
CG Sun Worshipper
Orly Thorned Rose
Orly Mandalay Ruby (It was supposed to be just Ruby!!!)

Colours that I unfortunately were unable to order:
CG Peachy Keen
Orly Lollipop
CG Light as Air (I know I said I wouldn’t get this, but heh. Why not! Addict at work.)
Orly Iron Butterfly (I MUST get this!)
CG Chroma-toes (Can’t find. I really want this!)
OPI Tickle My Francey (Really, really nice colour, but might give it a pass as it’s kinda exxy.)

And that’s all for now! I know it’s kind of a long post, but I really wanted comparisons! :)
Till next time! Lots of love, hugs, kisses and red red nails! 
xoxo
WN.

*All swatches are credited to Body-SoulBeauty, & Scrangie.

No comments:

Post a Comment